The world has passed the crossroads and is fully walking the Artificial Intelligence (AI) path. Different tech-based startups spring up to take advantage of the ever-growing AI and the numerous AI models, cue the computer vision AI startups and the machine vision startups. The rise of computer vision startups and machine vision startups has been inevitable since the 1950s testing of the early computer vision app. Computer vision has become a crucial aspect of our activities that we often can’t tell when using the technology. In this post, you’d find out more about computer vision and machine vision, startups ideas for a computer vision-based tech business, how you can compete with the big guys in tech, among other things.
Computer Vision and Machine Vision Explained
You must have been hearing computer vision, computer vision startups, machine vision, and machine vision startups. Well, you wouldn’t be wrong to say they are the same. Still, it would help if you refrained from using them interchangeably as they differ in power. Computer vision is the more powerful version of machine vision as it uses a powerful processor. With the above notion cleared, it is essential to explain what is meant by computer vision and machine vision.
You already know what computer vision and machine vision are, with the most suitable example being your eyes. Computer and machine vision replicates your eyes’ function to send visual stimuli to your brain to analyze and let you know what you are seeing. Computer vision is the computer vision process by the combination of AI and machine learning algorithms to see, analyse, identify, and understand the data visual data fed to or around the computer. Examples of computer vision technology’s various applications are facial recognition, face pose estimation, which it does through picture analysis software, object recognition, image reconstruction, and scene restoration. Also, computer vision algorithms allow a computer to see and recognize a human pose.
The computer vision application has three core aspects. They are;
- Image Acquisition
- Image processing through the computer vision systems
- Image analysis and comprehension.
The above constitute how computer vision software can perform its functions in the simplest terms. It combines technological components such as cameras, sensors, and machine learning algorithms.
Computer Vision and Importance to Business
Computer vision has come a long way and has hurdled over many challenges. Admittedly, there are still a few troubles facing computer vision, but one of the positive things about computer vision is the massive headway it has made in the business sector. There is a sea of uses for the many visual data computer vision software acquires, and many businesses can take advantage of this. Some of the many benefits of computer vision to business are;
- Scanning of document texts
- Security purposes. As in video surveillance and facial recognition.
- The incorporation of computer vision in robots.
- Augmented reality products.
- Quality Assessment of manufactured products
- Visual data management
Computer Vision Startup Ideas and Examples.
The following are examples and ideas you can use for your computer vision startup. They are also the various applications of computer vision technology.
Agriculture is vital to the world, and efficient agriculture is key to solving world hunger. Computer vision can contribute to this in some ways. One of these ways is In weed identification. This is particularly necessary as herbicides’ overuse has made weeds highly resistant.
An automated system can be created and be incorporated with computer vision software to identify weeds from the plants. This automated system can then spray weeds with herbicides and spray plants with fertilizer. The overuse of herbicides would be prevented this way, and weeds would become less resistant to herbicides.
Computer vision can help in achieving top-quality produce. Fusing computer vision with the relevant tech can produce quality analysis so that the best agricultural produce will reach the market.
2. Digitizing and Managing Paper Documents
Computer vision can help revolutionize office space by digitizing various paper documents. Companies have a copious amount of paper records that need to be safely kept and store by digitizing. A computer vision software can help read these documents and convert them into digital format. You can create your startup with this idea and help companies mop up their massive paper trails.
3. Computer Vision in Healthcare
When we mentioned earlier that computer vision has a wide range of uses and cuts across all fields, we were not exaggerating. Computer vision could help provide Healthcare AI solutions. You can create computer vision startups in healthcare as medical data are primarily pictures—for instance, x-ray and other scan types. Computer vision can be taught the things to look out for in these various images to aid patient diagnosis.
The above would help medical personnel diagnose patients quicker and accurately, reducing their already enormous workload and let them attend to other patients.
You can create your computer vision startup to use computer vision as a virtual coaching assistant. Your startup could help monitor athlete dedication to the training sessions using human pose recognition. You could use it to teach your athletes opposition player moves if it’s a contact sport. Also, you can use computer vision in real-time to monitor how noticed by the public your sporting brand is.
5. Computer Vision and Manufacturing
Computer vision is immense for manufacturing purposes. Your startup can help manufacturers know the quality of their products and the packaging accurately. Computer vision can also be used as an equipment monitor that would reveal when a piece of equipment is faulty, old, and needs replacement.
6. Facial Recognition
This cuts across many businesses. Facial recognition can be used for security purposes by using computer vision to utilize real-time facial recognition and video surveillance to keep watch over people in the public space. Facial recognition can help identify criminals who perchance are hiding among the people, thereby providing security agencies the visual data they need in apprehending these criminals.
7. Autonomous Vehicles
Car Manufacturers who create self-driving cars achieve this with computer vision. Through computer vision, the car can process and understand visual data that surrounds it and can self-drive effectively without causing harm to other drivers and pedestrians. Also, these autonomous vehicles can deliver merchandise to the persons who order them. An example of this is the Amazon delivery bot.
8. Language Translation
You could also enter the tech business using computer vision to translate foreign languages by using optical devices. This is very useful when you travel and have to read signs, rather than getting into awkward moments of gesturing to communicate to strangers who don’t understand your language.
Can Computer Vision Startups compete with the leading players in the field?
One of the worries of startups is that there are big players in the computer vision field, and these big players have massive influence in the market. Startups need not be worried as they can compete with the computer’s leading players. We would provide a few tips that computer vision startups can use to efficiently compete with the industry big guys.
- Have a massive online presence. You can do this by having an interactive social media page where you create intriguing content and connect with your followers. Also, you can further take advantage of social media by liaising with social media influencers to give your business a shout-out on their social media accounts.
- Work on your reputation. You can create a reputation by getting feedback from customers and posting them. Also, have excellent customer service that will help build emotional connections with your customers.
- Always work on ways to improve customer experience. Your computer vision startup must always make it easier for the customer to use your products. Use customer feedback to make the necessary improvements to make their experience with you smoother.
- Announce promos and reward customers for patronizing you.
- Connect with your community through charity and let people know by putting it on your websites. This would help people see you as more of a friend than a business.
- Focus on your employees. Make your employees’ working experience exceptional, and it would reflect on their output. If your customer service team is very pleased with their working conditions, it will reflect on how they would help you relate to your customers.
Does computer vision or machine learning offer better opportunities with startups in the future? Why?
Computer vision offers exciting opportunities for startups in the future. This is because of the many areas in which various computer vision technology applications. Above, we covered the automobile industry, specific robotic uses. Computer vision’s potential is massive, and this provides opportunities for startups to continue to join.
That said, this is a competitive field, but the top spot is still there for the taking. There are leading players in this field, but there isn’t s market leader yet, and due to the multidisciplinary nature of computer vision, that might be the case for a while. So, there are opportunities for new startups to join and share the market with the leading players.
How did the computer vision startup CamCom find success by pivoting from B2C to B2B?
Interestingly, CamCom was founded in 2017, and it began operations by being just an image search Computer Vision startup that helped people find new products. Their decision to change from business to customer to Business to Business came about when their customer, a fashion company, was getting the wrong item demands due to the inaccurate data that they were getting.
CamCom decided to make the switch and has found success as it has better customer retention and a steadier revenue. They now boast of a wider range of customers in the automobile, insurance, fashion, and drinks industries.
You can draw some lessons from CamCom and be unfazed by the competition and be confident in making your software.
- They believe they deal better with data than other computer vision startups. This is how it sets itself apart from the other startups in the market, and this is very key to its success as better data interpretation means that they would get more accurate results.
- They don’t just present their clients with analysis; it helps their clients transform that analysis into what its client can act on.
- Their tech is cheaper to use as it can be incorporated into existing platforms without the need for any form of overhaul.
- They also merge the software aspect with the computer vision’s hardware aspect with the mind-set of providing the best experience for their customers.
- Their tech can be used onsite or remotely.
As start-ups, you can learn from CamCom to improve your business model.
Top Computer Vision Tools in no particular order.
- Open Source Computer Vision Library
Top Computer Vision Startups, in no particular order.
These AI computer vision startups are the top leading startups in their field
- Veo Robotics
- NEXT Future Transportation
- Magic Leap
- Code Ocean
Arthur Evans is a professional freelance writer working for an A-grade company called write my essay. Part of his duties is to work with students and get relevant information about their thesis from them. Arthur is very keen on deadlines, and he never misses deadlines.